Dates are a staple ingredient in my house because we love them. The kids… not so much. To enjoy them differently, I thought to transform them into these little, sweet and sticky energy bites (recipe courtesy of a good friend of mine). Their flavour is enhanced by the addition of butter and cardamom and is guaranteed to please all date lovers.
- 250g soft dates (seeds removed)
- 50g butter
- 25g slivered almonds (plus some extra to decorate)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- In a medium pan, melt the butter on low heat.
- Add in the dates, almonds and cardamom powder and cook until the dates are of a uniform consistency. It may take a few minutes.
- Let the mixture cool before making it into balls.
- Roll the balls in desiccated coconut and decorate with the remaining almonds.